Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Two days of testing down and two to go. I met with the transplant team yesterday and everything is going well. I get to stop taking 3 of my medications which is great. There were a couple of potential small issues with aspects of the surgery which the surgeon basically said don't worry about it. I've been given the green light to start pushing my exercise and physical activities to their normal levels, but was cautioned to "listen to my body".

The best news was today with the neurologist. Two of them actually worked to confirm their observations, but they both felt and believe that I am showing neurological improvement for the first time in over 2 years. I have wanted to hear and believe that for so long, I just started crying. My feet are not showing much improvement yet, but my thighs were stronger, and parts of my leg that were previously dead to most any sensation, were showing signs of life again. They said that seeing improvement this early is very unusual, but that they were cautiously optimistic. The news was very encouraging to say the least, but it doesn't guarantee how much things will or may come back. For me it was just such a needed boost after all of this time.

They are going to try to objectify my results with some tests Friday morning, and I am hoping the machine proves them right. In the mean time we have had a chance to reconnect with some old friends here and we look forward to getting home Saturday. My love to all, Rick

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! We can share the joy when you get home, definitely a "special occasion"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news! So good to hear! Lots of love and blessings to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment...